Saturday, November 21, 2009

Golf themed birthday cake

Another request from my mum, a birthday cake for a family friend. I decided on the golf theme because, like my dad, Uncle Eddie lives and breathes golf!




I had initially wanted to create a mini golf course on the cake, but as it was only a small cake (4 inches) I didn't think it would make enough of an impact, so I decided to go with a golf ball on a tee. I covered the cake in green icing (a la grass, of course) and made a golf ball out of white sugar paste. I bravely tried to make the golf ball feature double as a candle, by pushing a candle through - which of course ruined the round shape of the ball and made it kind of oval-ish! But hey, at least it looks hand made! I finished with a Happy Birthday message on the top and front of the cake, and for the sides, I added bouncy golf balls. I added some "grass" at the bottom of the cake and around the tee - and voila!



1 comment: